Local Hack Day Program Manager
Major League Hacking (MLH) is looking for someone to join our growing family and New York City office as Local Hack Day Program Manager. Every year, MLH works with hundreds of student and faculty event organizers around the world to organize a one day invention competitions called Local Hack Day.
As Local Hack Day Program Manager, you’ll take this successful program and help grow it to the next level, expanding it from one to three events with more participants and more impact than ever before. You’ll develop this expanded program, support organizers as they plan their events, and ensure each Local Hack Day event is a success that empowers the next generation of hackers.
This is the first full-time hire for one of our most successful product lines.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Develop and manage organizer relationships Local Hack Day is often the first direct contact we have with an engaged hacker who is ready to start building their own community. You’ll be responsible for identifying new organizers, inspiring them to plan a Local Hack Day, and managing the relationship they have with Major League Hacking.
Support event organizers. For many organizers Local Hack Day is their first experience ever planning an event. You’ll mentor them along this journey by providing resources and facilitating group and individualized conversations that empower them to run the best events possible.
Develop, modify, and follow processes. Managing 300+ simultaneous events around the world is no small task. You must be able to create and rely on process to make it all happen. As the program expands you’ll need to adapt our existing processes and develop new ones to fit the unique demands of these events.
Complex project management. These events have many moving parts, from global teams, to international global you’ll be responsible for managing three simultaneous projects with strict deadlines. You’ll work with internal and external stakeholders, set milestones, and ensure these events happen to a standard of excellence.
- Competitive salary
- Equity options
- Medical, dental, vision benefits, and 401K
- Unlimited PTO
- Weekly team lunches
- Travel opportunities
Major League Hacking's (MLH) mission is to empower hackers. Each year over 65,000 young technologists and innovators around the world attend MLH events and join our community. Our events provide a self-driven environment where community members learn from each other outside the confines of traditional academia. The MLH team grew out of this movement and is dedicated to making it accessible to the entire world.
- We’re a team of 13 full-time people based in midtown Manhattan.
- Our co-founders, Swift and Jon, were recognized for their work in education by Forbes in the 2017 30 Under 30 list.
- We work with some of the top technology brands like Dell, Oculus, and Amazon to help them reach our community and get the latest and greatest tools into their hands.
- We have a group of world-class investors including General Catalyst, Alexis Ohanian (Reddit), Jeff Lawson (Twilio), and Sundance DiGiovanni (Major League Gaming).
- We are a mission driven B Corp, committed to responsibly serving the world and our community.
- The hacker movement is taking off! Since we started in 2013, we’ve powered more than 600 weekend-long invention marathons (called hackathons).
- Experience planning events. Bonus points if those events were hackathons.
- Experience managing projects with lots of moving pieces and external stakeholders.
- 2+ years working in a face-paced growth environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- You’re passionate about technical education and communities.