Major League Hacking (MLH) is looking for someone to join our growing family and New York City office as a Community Intern. Every year, MLH works with thousands of developer community leaders around the world to help them organize events and engage with hackers. As a Community Intern, you’ll be responsible for working with those organizers to make them successful while learning the ropes of managing a global community with our full-time team. This is a great role for someone who wants to learn the ins and outs of managing a large technical community.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Guide organizers through the process of planning MLH events. You’ll work with organizers during each stage of the event planning process to keep them moving, collect the information we need, and ultimately execute a successful event.
Provide training & ongoing support. You’ll schedule and lead training and support calls with organizers to prepare them to host events. You’ll be their main point of contact day-to-day and will be responsible for addressing any questions or support issues that come up.
Track our success & report back to the team. You’ll document conversations and outcomes across all your interactions with event organizers. You’ll keep track of and share key metrics and inspiring stories with our team.
Market MLH programs & content to organizers. You’ll communicate the value of MLH to potential organizers and help them select content that is a good match for their needs. Once they have a successful event under their belt, you’ll work with them to plan out future events as well.
- Weekly team lunches
- Fast paced learning environment
- Flexibility on hours
- Travel opportunities
Major League Hacking's (MLH) mission is to empower hackers. Each year over 100,000 young technologists and innovators around the world attend MLH events and join our community. Our events provide a self-driven environment where community members learn from each other outside the confines of traditional academia. The MLH team grew out of this movement and is dedicated to making it accessible to the entire world.
- We’re a team of 13 full-time people based in midtown Manhattan.
- Our co-founders, Swift and Jon, were recognized for their work in education by Forbes in the 2017 30 Under 30 list.
- We work with some of the top technology brands like Dell, Oculus, and Amazon to help them reach our community and get the latest and greatest tools into their hands.
- We have a group of world-class investors including General Catalyst, Alexis Ohanian (Reddit), Jeff Lawson (Twilio), and Sundance DiGiovanni (Major League Gaming).
- We are a mission driven B Corp, committed to responsibly serving the world and our community.
- The hacker movement is taking off! Since we started in 2013, we’ve powered more than 600 weekend-long invention marathons (called hackathons).
- Experience organizing events or running a community.
- Passion for the hacker community and technical education.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to travel and occasionally work weekends.
- You enjoy connecting with people and building strong relationships.
- Can commit at least 20 hours per week.
- You're in the New York City area or can relocate yourself here.