Web Designer Product | Contractor | NYC
Major League Hacking (MLH) is looking for a Web Designer to help us educate and empower our community. Every year, thousands of developers, designers, and makers attend MLH events where they learn new skills and develop a deep passion for technology. As a Web Designer, you’ll be responsible for helping us translate our goals into compelling interactive web experiences for our community. You’ll partner with a front-end developer and our CEO to quickly bring your designs to life.
This is a 4 - 6 week contract role for 20 to 30 hours per week. We’ll ask you to come to our office for in-person sessions some days, but you will be able to work remotely once the project is underway.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Prototype designs using wireframes & low-fidelity mockups. You’ll wireframe and prototype designs that address the project goals while staying within the requirements.
- Design compelling web & email experiences. You’ll partner with our CEO to select a direction from the prototypes you create and then you’ll turn it into a high-fidelity design that you can hand off to the developer.
- Ability to design attractive, useable web pages in Illustrator, Sketch, or the program of your choice.
- Experience wireframing & iterating on designs based on user feedback.
- Attention to detail.
- Responsiveness — we’ll be iterating over your work quickly.
Major League Hacking's (MLH) mission is to empower hackers. Each year over 65,000 young technologists and innovators around the world attend MLH events and join our community. Our events provide a self-driven environment where community members learn from each other outside the confines of traditional academia. The MLH team grew out of this movement and is dedicated to making it accessible to the entire world.
- We’re a team of 12 people based in midtown Manhattan.
- Our co-founders, Swift and Jon, were recognized for their work in education by Forbes in the 2017 30 Under 30 list.
- We work with some of the top technology brands like Dell, Oculus, and Amazon to help them reach our community and get the latest and greatest tools into their hands.
- We have a group of world-class investors including General Catalyst, Alexis Ohanian (Reddit), Jeff Lawson (Twilio), and Sundance DiGiovanni (Major League Gaming).
- We are a mission driven B Corp, committed to responsibly serving the world and our community.
- The hacker movement is taking off! Since we started in 2013, we’ve powered nearly 450 weekend-long invention marathons (called hackathons). About 50% of those happened in 2016 alone.