Event Operations Specialist Operations | Full Time | New York City
Major League Hacking (MLH) is looking for someone to join our growing family and New York City office as an Event Operations Specialist. As part of our Operations team you will be responsible for managing the logistics of our world class events.
We facilitate hundreds of weekend long invention competitions for some of the smartest students you’ll ever meet. Every year, more than 65,000 students create amazing things at Major League Hacking hackathons and we provide the framework to make it all happen. We work with great partners like Dell, Oculus, and Amazon to give the students great experiences. Better still, we’re a mission driven B Corp, committed to responsibly serving the world.
As an Event Operations Specialist you will report to our Senior Partner based in Seattle, WA. You’ll be joining the New York City based operations team that serves as the backbone to our organization, responsible for supporting our rapidly growing community, event roster, and team worldwide.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate across teams to fulfill our event needs.
- Project manage and source everything needed for the event (this means swag, decor, food and more)
- Source event vendors, work with them, and make sure they’re meeting our needs. Our events needs everything from furniture to A/V to catering to internet.
- Make sure everyone on on our team (and our partners’ teams) get to the event on time and safely, by clearly communicating with them and overseeing their travel.
- Manage our onsite inventory by organizing shipping and freight before and after events. We typically see 3-4 truckloads of supplies come to an event, think of all those trucks!
- Document activities using new & existing processes to keep all teams apprised of project status
- Keep the team in the loop by documenting your progress and use our event organization processes to keep organized and make awesome events
- Manage logistics for multiple events being planned concurrently. We often have 3-5 events happening at any time, this means multi-tasking.
Desired Skills and Experience
- 1-3 years of experience in a similar operations role
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Process driven and detail oriented personality
- Exceptional organizational ability
- Ability to set timelines and ensure others uphold deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to thoughtfully and critically evaluate project requirements
- Diligence in clearly documenting task outcomes
- Willing to occasionally work weekends while traveling across North America and globally
- Ideal candidate has experience in event operations, particularly hackathons
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental, vision benefits and 401K
- Unlimited PTO
- Weekly team lunches
- Travel opportunities
Major League Hacking's (MLH) mission is to empower hackers. Each year over 65,000 young technologists and innovators around the world attend MLH events and join our community. Our events provide a self-driven environment where community members learn from each other outside the confines of traditional academia. The MLH team grew out of this movement and is dedicated to making it accessible to the entire world.
- We’re a team of 13 people based in midtown Manhattan.
- Our co-founders, Swift and Jon, were recognized for their work in education by Forbes in the 2017 30 Under 30 list.
- We work with some of the top technology brands like Dell, Oculus, and Amazon to help them reach our community and get the latest and greatest tools into their hands.
- We have a group of world-class investors including General Catalyst, Alexis Ohanian (Reddit), Jeff Lawson (Twilio), and Sundance DiGiovanni (Major League Gaming).
- We are a mission driven B Corp, committed to responsibly serving the world and our community.
- The hacker movement is taking off! Since we started in 2013, we’ve powered nearly 450 weekend-long invention marathons (called hackathons). About 50% of those happened in 2016 alone.