Technical Writer Education | Contractor | Anywhere
Major League Hacking (MLH) is looking for a Technical Writer to help us educate and empower our community. Every year, thousands of developers, designers, and makers attend MLH events where they learn new skills and develop a deep passion for technology. As a Technical Writer, you’ll be responsible for writing an instructional guide for a workshop leader that explains how to present the workshop content - a key component of empowering hackers of every level to be able to teach their peers new skills.
Cool existing modules include Intro to GraphQL powered by Shopify (check out the snake game used in this module) and Building Scalable Apps featuring CockroachDB (check out this website that displays Star Trek quotes used in this module). The Technical Writer works closely with the Technical Curriculum Developer to identify parts of the presentation where attendees might get stuck and to ensure that all relevant knowledge is shared. These modules are the launchpad into new technologies for our hackers. This role is an opportunity to inspire hackers to use all sorts of new technologies and is an excellent role for an aspiring developer evangelist!
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Learn the ins-and-outs of the lesson presentation provided to you by the Technical Curriculum Developer. Translate that knowledge into step-by-step instructions on how to deliver the technical presentation.
- Write instructional guides for technical presentations. - This includes step-by-step instructions on how to run the presentation,
- Identify & explain the essence of technology, API, or framework. Your explanations must be as concise and understandable as possible.
- Iterate over the presentation guide you write based on feedback provided to you from the Product Manager or other MLH team members.
- Inspire hackers! The presentation guides that you develop will support many of our hackers’ first introductions to the technology taught in the workshop - thousands of hackers each year will learn from what you write!
- Ability to write about technical topics with an approachable tone.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability and desire to familiarize yourself with new platforms, APIs, and frameworks quickly. You won’t need a specialized understanding of any of these technologies because the presentations will be written for you, but you should be able to read and understand the explanations, and break them down further.
Major League Hacking's (MLH) mission is to empower hackers. Each year over 65,000 young technologists and innovators around the world attend MLH events and join our community. Our events provide a self-driven environment where community members learn from each other outside the confines of traditional academia. The MLH team grew out of this movement and is dedicated to making it accessible to the entire world.
- We’re a team of 12 people based in midtown Manhattan.
- Our co-founders, Swift and Jon, were recognized for their work in education by Forbes in the 2017 30 Under 30 list.
- We work with some of the top technology brands like Dell, Oculus, and Amazon to help them reach our community and get the latest and greatest tools into their hands.
- We have a group of world-class investors including General Catalyst, Alexis Ohanian (Reddit), Jeff Lawson (Twilio), and Sundance DiGiovanni (Major League Gaming).
- We are a mission driven B Corp, committed to responsibly serving the world and our community.
- The hacker movement is taking off! Since we started in 2013, we’ve powered nearly 450 weekend-long invention marathons (called hackathons). About 50% of those happened in 2016 alone.