Sample Application Developer Education | Contractor | Anywhere
Major League Hacking (MLH) is looking for a Sample Application Developer to help us educate and empower our community. Every year, thousands of developers, designers, and makers attend MLH events where they learn new skills and develop a deep passion for technology. As a Sample Application Developer, you’ll be responsible for building simple applications that inspire and educate our event participants.
Cool past examples include a snake game with power-ups (used to learn GraphQL) and a website that displays Star Trek quotes with some awesome ASCII art (used to learn about CockroachDB). These applications are the launchpad into new technologies for our hackers. This role is an opportunity to build all sorts of creative projects using cutting edge technologies and to inspire thousands of hackers expand their skill sets.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Originate simple, creative application ideas that help communicate complex technologies in a digestible way.
- Implementing those ideas as code in the simplest manner and distilling ideas down to their core. You’ll do this based on information/specs/requirements provided to you from the Product Manager and your own research and creativity.
- Communicate how the sample application works and how it shows off the technology. You’ll work directly with a Technical Curriculum Developer, who will write a lesson presentation based on your application, to help them understand and explain the code you’ve written.
- Iterate over sample applications you write based on feedback provided to your from the product manager, our clients, and other MLH team members. Inspire hackers! The applications that you build will be many of our hackers’ first introductions to the technology taught in the workshop - thousands of hackers each year will learn from and build off of what you make.
- Ability to write code that is easily understood by others - “Elegant Simplicity,” we like to say.
- Ability to write fully-functional introductory level sample applications with little-to-no technical support.
- Ability and desire to learn new platforms, APIs, and /frameworks quickly.
Major League Hacking's (MLH) mission is to empower hackers. Each year over 65,000 young technologists and innovators around the world attend MLH events and join our community. Our events provide a self-driven environment where community members learn from each other outside the confines of traditional academia. The MLH team grew out of this movement and is dedicated to making it accessible to the entire world.
- We’re a team of 12 people based in midtown Manhattan.
- Our co-founders, Swift and Jon, were recognized for their work in education by Forbes in the 2017 30 Under 30 list.
- We work with some of the top technology brands like Dell, Oculus, and Amazon to help them reach our community and get the latest and greatest tools into their hands.
- We have a group of world-class investors including General Catalyst, Alexis Ohanian (Reddit), Jeff Lawson (Twilio), and Sundance DiGiovanni (Major League Gaming).
- We are a mission driven B Corp, committed to responsibly serving the world and our community.
- The hacker movement is taking off! Since we started in 2013, we’ve powered nearly 450 weekend-long invention marathons (called hackathons). About 50% of those happened in 2016 alone.