Hackathon Community Manager Intern League | Part Time | New York City
Major League Hacking (MLH) is looking for someone part-time to join our growing family and New York City office as a Community Manager Intern. Every year, MLH works with thousands of student and faculty event organizers around the world to organize weekend-long invention competitions called hackathons. As a Community Manager Intern, you’ll be responsible for managing communications with those organizers day-to-day to make their hackathons successful. You’ll be working close with our full-time team that support over 250 hackathon organizers across both Europe and North America.
This is a great role for an aspiring community managers, account managers, or someone who wants to learn the ins and outs of servicing hackathons and be part of a startup empowering a large technical community.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Community Support. You’ll manage the day-to-day initial inquiries coming from our organizer community via emails and Facebook messages. You’ll connect them with resources that will solve their problems and help them achieve their goals.
- Collect event logistics information. You’ll work cross-functionally to collect and validate all the logistical information we need to serve upcoming hackathons.
- Create hackathon planning tools & resources. You’ll create and edit content and resources to make organizing a successful hackathon as simple as possible.
- Experience organizing events. Bonus points if those events were hackathons
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- You’re passionate about technical education and communities.
- You can commit to working 10 - 20 hours per week in our NYC office.
- Weekly team lunches
- Flexible work schedule
- Personal development and growth opportunities
Major League Hacking's (MLH) mission is to empower hackers. Each year over 65,000 young technologists and innovators around the world attend MLH events and join our community. Our events provide a self-driven environment where community members learn from each other outside the confines of traditional academia. The MLH team grew out of this movement and is dedicated to making it accessible to the entire world.
- We’re a team of 13 people based in midtown Manhattan.
- Our co-founders, Swift and Jon, were recognized for their work in education by Forbes in the 2017 30 Under 30 list.
- We work with some of the top technology brands like Dell, Oculus, and Amazon to help them reach our community and get the latest and greatest tools into their hands.
- We have a group of world-class investors including General Catalyst, Alexis Ohanian (Reddit), Jeff Lawson (Twilio), and Sundance DiGiovanni (Major League Gaming).
- We are a mission driven B Corp, committed to responsibly serving the world and our community.
- The hacker movement is taking off! Since we started in 2013, we’ve powered nearly 450 weekend-long invention marathons (called hackathons). About 50% of those happened in 2016 alone.