Deputy Commissioner League | Full Time | New York City
Major League Hacking (MLH) is looking for someone to join our growing family and New York City office as a Deputy Commissioner. Every year, MLH works with thousands of student and faculty event organizers around the world to organize weekend-long invention competitions called hackathons. As a Deputy Commissioner, you’ll be responsible for working with those organizers to make their hackathons successful. This is a great role for an aspiring developer advocate or someone who wants to learn the ins and outs of managing a large technical community.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruit, vet, and onboard new hackathon organizers. You’ll need to conduct interviews with potential new hackathon organizers, communicate the value that MLH brings to their event, and onboard them into our community of organizers.
- Mentor & support hackathon organizers. You’ll work closely with our community of event organizers to help them successfully plan hackathons. You’ll meet with them individually and in groups to share best practices, provide feedback, and guide them to achieving their goals.
- Create hackathon planning tools & resources. You’ll be responsible for creating content and resources to make organizing a successful hackathon as simple as possible.
- Build & maintain relationships with organizers in our community. We work with hackathon organizers across many years. You’ll be responsible for creating a strong connection between organizers and MLH and nurturing that relationship over time.
- Represent MLH at hackathons. You’ll travel to a number of hackathons throughout the year to represent MLH and meet the event organizers you’ve been working with in person. At these events, you’ll also have the opportunity to do hands-on customer development research and mentor other MLH event staff.
- Roll out & track the success of new initiatives. You’ll need to work closely with other teams inside MLH to launch new initiatives at our hackathons. You’ll also need to communicate with our organizer community around these new initiatives and changes to our product.
- Find new ways for MLH to empower hackers. We are always on the lookout for new ways that we can bring value to the hackers who participate in MLH hackathons. You’ll source new, interesting opportunities through your close interactions with our community and partner with internal and external stakeholders to bring them to life.
- Experience organizing events. Bonus points if those events were hackathons.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to travel and occasionally work weekends.
- You’re passionate about technical education and communities.
- Competitive salary
- Equity options
- Medical, dental, vision benefits, and 401K
- Unlimited PTO
- Weekly team lunches
- Travel opportunities
Major League Hacking's (MLH) mission is to empower hackers. Each year over 65,000 young technologists and innovators around the world attend MLH events and join our community. Our events provide a self-driven environment where community members learn from each other outside the confines of traditional academia. The MLH team grew out of this movement and is dedicated to making it accessible to the entire world.
- We’re a team of 13 people based in midtown Manhattan.
- Our co-founders, Swift and Jon, were recognized for their work in education by Forbes in the 2017 30 Under 30 list.
- We work with some of the top technology brands like Dell, Oculus, and Amazon to help them reach our community and get the latest and greatest tools into their hands.
- We have a group of world-class investors including General Catalyst, Alexis Ohanian (Reddit), Jeff Lawson (Twilio), and Sundance DiGiovanni (Major League Gaming).
- We are a mission driven B Corp, committed to responsibly serving the world and our community.
- The hacker movement is taking off! Since we started in 2013, we’ve powered nearly 450 weekend-long invention marathons (called hackathons). About 50% of those happened in 2016 alone.